View Single Post
Old Jun 4th 2019, 04:46 AM   #3
glassgal

glassgal is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the response! Since I posted the question, I've done some experimentation. I happened to have some roughly 15 year rancid oils. They smell unbelievably bad. The types of oils are, Peanut, Shea Butter, Canola, Palm, Coconut (all soaping oils). The most stinky of all is the Palm oil.

The soaps made from the above are pretty darn bad. They are off by color, and do not attract oils or dirt as regular handmade soaps do.

I'm guessing that the rancid O molecules in a recently rancid oil would appear further up the long chain, but as the oil becomes more rancid, start filling in all available spots until the 'sticky' end that is normally 2 hydrophillic ends result in a hydrophobic tail that has ketones stuck to it.

The resulting soap does not seem to dissolve oils, and will not quickly wash away without a ton of rinsing and scrubbing just to remove the soap.

Mildly rancid oil (as you mentioned, the edible kind) seems fine. But as you increase the rancidity level in oils, it produces less and less usable soap.

It's one of the areas that I've seen zero discussion and study of, where saponification is such a hugely important area in Organic Chemistry. I was hoping someone would be interested enough to look into it, because it's kind of interesting, and because I actually have the oils to assist in experimenting. Not many people have 15 year old rancid soaping oils laying around.
glassgal is offline   Reply With Quote