Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > High School Chemistry Forum

High School Chemistry Forum Ask your high school chemistry questions here.

Old Mar 8th 2017, 04:01 AM   #1
NickPerry

NickPerry is on a distinguished road
Question H2O2 from H2O & O3?

ok, I read this is possible via a random comment somewhere on the internet, so I'm trying to do some research to see if it's true, but most of the sites I come across are these 'alternative health' sites that I don't really trust.. anyways, on with the question. I'm trying to:

6,H2O + 2,O3 -> 3,H2O2 (Hope I balanced that correctly)

now I read one place that simply passing ozone through cold water should produce hydrogen peroxide.

I read elsewhere that it needs to be treated with UV, but further research seems to show me that's to decompose H2O2, not to produce it, the only way I see this method working is to first treat the H2O with UV to break off electrons, and then bubble through the O3 afterwards..

now I could be wrong with all of this.

but the reason I'm hoping this is the case is because I'm currently recording a YouTube series where I literally start with rubbing rocks together (To make stone tools) and build my way up to (fairly) modern tech. and this would be a fairly easy way to make hydrogen peroxide, which will make synthesis of other chemicals and purification of elements much simpler.

Thank You!
NickPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th 2017, 02:29 PM   #2
topsquark

topsquark is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NickPerry View Post
ok, I read this is possible via a random comment somewhere on the internet, so I'm trying to do some research to see if it's true, but most of the sites I come across are these 'alternative health' sites that I don't really trust.. anyways, on with the question. I'm trying to:

6,H2O + 2,O3 -> 3,H2O2 (Hope I balanced that correctly)
I'm sorry I can't help with this any more than I am, but the equation is
3 H_2 O + O_3 --> 3 H_2 O_2

-Dan

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > High School Chemistry Forum

Tags
h2o2, synthesis

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed