Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users New to CHF? Post up here and introduce yourself!

Old Apr 28th 2015, 08:02 AM   #1
metalgirl

metalgirl is on a distinguished road
ferric chloride question

Hello,

I work with metal and etching and use ferric chloride. I have questions about what resists I can use safely with ferric chloride.

I have been trying to google about what can and cannot be put into a ferric chloride acid to etch copper, brass and nickel. Iím not sure how to search this. I am a metalsmith student and have no chemistry background. Iíve been ironing on ink from my printer, inking with ink stamp pads, and drawing thru nail polish on a piece of metal and then etching these by placing them in a ferric chloride.

My question is if I can also use a varnish, violin resin mixed with 90% rubbing alchohol for a paste, china white and or hand sanitizer on the metal and put in ferric chloride safely? I want a detailed, small etched piece.

If you can point me to resources to search this out, or if you know what can and cannot be put in ferric chloride safely, I would appreciate your help.
metalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th 2015, 01:41 PM   #2
studiot

studiot is on a distinguished road
I have used nail varnish for this purpose in the past, as a resist for electronic circuit boards.

Self adhesive plastic film is another good method.
You can run designs through the photocopier stick the sheet onto the substrate and cut out with a sharp craft knife.

There are many proprietary etch resists you can find on electronics suppliers websites, some of which you can spray on,
depending where you are in the world.

Happy production.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/se...&o=relevance&c[node]=5

Last edited by studiot; Apr 28th 2015 at 02:06 PM.
studiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed