Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users New to CHF? Post up here and introduce yourself!

Old Mar 4th 2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Tchrgk

Tchrgk is on a distinguished road
Tchrgk Introduction

Hello everyone!

I am a retired HS chemistry teacher (since 1995), and a current adjunct college instructor (since 1974). I have taught Chemistry and AP Chemistry in high school. I have taught Introductory Chemistry, General Chemistry, and General, Organic & Biological Chemistry at a community college. My current class is Introduction to Chemistry which is equivalent to HS Chemistry taught at very high speed. I enjoy answering an occasional question here. I have mixed feeling about confirming specific answers. The tutor's job is to guide a student into the correct approach for solving the problem him/herself.
Tchrgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Unknown008

Unknown008 will become famous soon enough
Hi! Tchrgk! Welcome to CHF (though it's a bit late )

For my part, I prefer giving guidelines/hints and as much as possible avoid direct answers. I do appreciate the help you give around, and I sometimes am not sure of my own answers since I only learned Chemistry till High School . I have resorted to searching over the internet on my own at times, hoping to get some understanding about the concepts I am not familiar about, and the rest is generally simply understanding the problem and applying what I just learned, with some common logic.

What's great about communities is that one can often double check the answers of another. After all, we can all leave mistakes The only issue is that this forum is not as popular yet, although I've seen an increase in questions recently. Maybe in the near future See you around!

If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Thank you for leaving a reputation to my post

Unknown008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th 2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Tchrgk

Jerry,
Thank you for the warm welcome and for being here helping students. You are welcome to catch me on my senior moments (aka senior gas emissions). At 78, still teaching part time. I warn my students to keep an eye on me. Most of my mistakes are not intentional. I have been teaching since 1959. I hope to do this for a while. I will be working here lightly because of work and family responsibilities. Thanks again,
George
Old Mar 7th 2013, 07:00 AM   #4
bjhopper

bjhopper is on a distinguished road
Introductions

Hello George and Jerry,
My name is Bert and I am a retired Chem Engineer age 90.I answer questions as a pastime using google to brush up on things lost.My experience is mostly in the field in construction and operation of chemical products particularly phosgene.

Best Regards
bjhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th 2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Tchrgk

Hi Bert,

Great meeting you. I may have made phosgene by mistake. I did make NCl3 by mistake, and NI3 intentionally. I still have 10 fingers. I used aziridine in graduate school and I am still alive (it is explosive, toxic,and carcinogenic). These days a chemistry student or teacher can't have fun. I am a young guy of 78, still teaching and occasionally learning something new.

Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed