Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Advanced Chemistry Forum Organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biological chemistry questions go here.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 04:22 AM   #1
boblalux

boblalux is on a distinguished road
Redistillation of Lavender Oil to Improve Quality

Improving the quality of Lavender

As a hobby, I annually produce about a liter of lavender oil by the steam distillation of buds from Lavendula Angustifolia. As the plants are Lavandin, and not the “true” Lavender, the resulting oil could be improved by the removal of excess rather undesirable components, such as camphor etc.
Question: If I re-distill say 100ml of the lavender oil, and discard the first (or last) milliliters, can I improve the product?
boblalux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th 2019, 06:09 PM   #2
chemtopper

chemtopper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by boblalux View Post

Improving the quality of Lavender

As a hobby, I annually produce about a liter of lavender oil by the steam distillation of buds from Lavendula Angustifolia. As the plants are Lavandin, and not the “true” Lavender, the resulting oil could be improved by the removal of excess rather undesirable components, such as camphor etc.
Question: If I re-distill say 100ml of the lavender oil, and discard the first (or last) milliliters, can I improve the product?
It doesn't help ,You need to collect sample at its exact boiling point which is difficult.
chemtopper is online now   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed