Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Advanced Chemistry Forum Organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biological chemistry questions go here.

Old Jun 13th 2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Footballplayer

Footballplayer is on a distinguished road
Smile The more the electron is away from the nucleus in higher shells, does it only absorb

The more the electron is away from the nucleus in higher shells, does it only absorb EM waves with higher energy, like ultra violet waves.?

Like in glass, light does not get absorbed by the electron but ultra violet does.
I am thinking the further away the electron is, then it only absorbs electromagnetic waves on the high end of the spectrum, like ultra violet, X-rays, and Gamma.
But is this wrong, like the electron eV requirment does change when it is far away from nucleus in a higher shell level.
But I guess it can absorb any EM wave while in the ground state is this correct.
Also is it known to science why the electrons energy levels (eV requirment to be absorbed by EM waves) change when atoms come together to form molecules, like in glass, and transparent liquids especially, and also when the electron is away from its nucleus.
The electron speeds up when its away from the nucleus but nothing I have read explains why the eV changes.
Its like its a mystery, does science have a answer.
I am grateful for your help, anything helps even a few words.
Footballplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Tags
band gap

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed