Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users New to CHF? Post up here and introduce yourself!

Old Oct 17th 2016, 06:21 AM   #1
beethelzar

beethelzar is on a distinguished road
Author asking for basic chemistry ideas for fiction.

*I have no real chemistry background (just an amateur author) so please excuse my limited description.

Can someone suggest how oxygen (O2) in ambient air, could be removed permanently and with little cost. Such as by either attaching it to another molecule, or by splitting it into two atomic oxygen first, then attaching them to another material for storage.

I first thought of splitting O2 electrically, then storing as O3 ozone. But quickly learned ozone has a half-life of 12 hours, so not useful.

So is there any low cost process you can suggest that can use readily available and preferably free materials from nature, to attach to oxygen O2?

Perhaps combining O2 with an element from salt, saltwater, iron oxide, limestone, or anything else that is available most areas.

The desired process is for mass O2 conversion by many people worldwide to do cheaply over a long period. It is for inclusion in a story which must be plausible fiction (so this process must be possible).

Will come back tomorrow to check. Thanks
beethelzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th 2016, 05:09 AM   #2
beethelzar

I found a possible solution.
I looked at the conversion of air to Nitric Oxide NO, which converts automatically to NO2 I believe.
I think this could possibly be done with the following patented design or similar process.

Patent US5396882 - Generation of nitric oxide from air for medical uses - Google Patents http://www.google.com/patents/US5396882

I've considered the low output volume, but building a device with perhaps 100 spark gaps in a single block or tube, with each gap having a car coil HV lead to it, it may be possible cheaply to convert my target of 35kgs p/d of oxygen per unit. And operating by solar power of perhaps 1000w panels. So cost is low and chemical components are both from air.

For my plausible fiction-based story, having perhaps 5000 people worldwide running these units for 20 years, it may be possible to drop oxygen levels below 15%, which will end most life. This being the leverage used in my story to stop religion and governments from doing the same in 100 to 200 years due to plankton loss, deforestation etc.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 11:44 AM   #3
beethelzar

Hi guys. To finish this up. The energy for reducing 1% oxygen globally by a method like in the patent I linked to below, is ludicrous. Air->NO Industrial machines efficiency is much better but not even close. See The Birkland-Eyde process.
However, the waste product of this process is NO or NO^2.
As the level of NO^2 in our atmospere is 0.000002% as compared to O^2 which is 20.95%, the ratio may allow a new attack (plausible) on our global environment for my writing purposes.
I haven't done necessary research yet, but it does look promising. As this was about leverage to oust global powers if necessary in future. NO^2 poisoning wasn't considered, just oxygen depletion.
Still I thought I'd mention to you guys, as free and open exchange of ideas.
Cheers.

Patent US5396882 - Generation of nitric oxide from air for medical uses - Google Patents http://www.google.com/patents/US5396882

Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed