Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > High School Chemistry Forum

High School Chemistry Forum Ask your high school chemistry questions here.

Old Nov 7th 2012, 05:00 PM   #1
MoneyKing

MoneyKing is on a distinguished road
Silicic acid

Hello I would like to know why Silicic acid is H4(SiO4) and not H2(SiO3).
thanks
MoneyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th 2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Unknown008

Unknown008 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Silicic acid is a general name for a family of chemical compounds containing the element silicon attached to oxide and hydroxyl groups.

Some simple silicic acids have been identified, but only in very dilute aqueous solution, such as metasilicic acid (H2SiO3), orthosilicic acid (H4SiO4, pKa1=9.84, pKa2=13.2 at 25 C), disilicic acid (H2Si2O5), and pyrosilicic acid (H6Si2O7); however in the solid state these probably condense to form polymeric silicic acids of complex structure.
Does this answer your question?

If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Thank you for leaving a reputation to my post

Unknown008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 02:06 AM   #3
magnesia

magnesia is on a distinguished road
To my knowledge, Silicic acid actually refers to a group of acids formed from compounds that are composed of silicon oxides bonded to hydroxyl groups. The acids that you've stated, H4SiO4 and H2SiO3 are both known as 'silicic acid" (the name of the group) though their actual names are orthosilicic acid and metasilicic acid respectively.

H4SiO4 however is much more common, so maybe that's why your source is equivalating silicic scid to orthosilicic acid.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 05:20 PM   #4
msechemist

msechemist is on a distinguished road
I would really appreciate if you can help with solubility details of these two compounds in water and alcohol. I think there composition changes their solubility
msechemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > High School Chemistry Forum

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed