Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users New to CHF? Post up here and introduce yourself!

Old Oct 2nd 2016, 09:57 PM   #1
shefin

shefin is on a distinguished road
Different compound name with same molecular weight and molecular formula

Hello all

This is Shefin. I do research in Biotechnology. I presently focussed on the phytochemical details from plants. Here I came across the fact that most plants contains different compounds having the same molecular formula and molecular weight. Why is it so? and What is it called? what will we say for different compounds having same molecular formula and molecular weight.

Thank you in advance.

Shefin
shefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2016, 10:57 AM   #2
ShannonAtHome

ShannonAtHome is on a distinguished road
Shefin,
I am no chemical genius, but I think that organic chemistry is what you are concerned with, since plants utilize a lot of carbon-compound chemicals. In organic (carbon-based) chemistry, much of the naming and function of the chemical has to do with where the carbon and other atoms attch (on the first, second, third atom, etc) to create the molecule. Imagine having a bucket of Legos that had only 4 different shapes, but you could combine the Legos in any number of ways to create millions of different shapes. Though you may use the same Lego shapes (atoms) they would all be able to combine differently, and each different combination would have its own name! Does that help?
ShannonAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed