Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users New to CHF? Post up here and introduce yourself!

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 08:03 PM   #1
mquevedob

mquevedob is on a distinguished road
lead acid battery self destruct mechanism

Hi guys,

I use Valve Regulated Lead Acid batteries to power some equipment in remote sites.

The main problem is that these batteries are stolen from me regularly. I tried putting a GPS module inside the battery to track them down, but some how I lose signal after a few minutes the battery has been stolen. They are probably taking the module out...

So, I was thinking that if I install some sort of self destroy mechanism inside the battery they will eventually give up and stop stealing them.

In order to self destroy the battery I was thinking to release some amount of sodium inside the battery so that it will react with the electrolite. This is supposed to start fire inside the battery.

the VRLA battery does not have electrolite in liquid format, but it is gel. I just dont know if this or the fact that the battery is sealed will prevent fire from building up.

Any suggestions?

best regards,
Martin
mquevedob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 09:17 PM   #2
oz93666

oz93666 is on a distinguished road
If you were using cheap , normal LA batteries this would be easy, the space above the electrolyte is filled with H2 and O2 ... one spark inside will blow it up !! .... I narrowly escaped serious injury when sparks from an angle grinder got into a battery and blew it to pieces , plastic and acid flying everywhere !!!

This $2 device is the electronics from a taser http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-3v-6v-t...0AAOSweW5VaAHx , it will make good sparks to blow a battery, or deliver powerful shocks .... rather than blow up your battery , it would be very easy to deliver a powerful shock to anyone tampering ....

Another way might be to switch over to lithium batteries , these are more expensive , but will last 3,000 cycles (compared to LA 500 cycles) , if not charged to over 3.93V per cell . They don't emit gas, so you could bury them in a sealed box , put concrete on top , just the wires coming out... I guess you could do this with LA also , bury it with steel reinforced concrete on top ...

Or just partly bury and embed the battery in concrete so it can't be moved.
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

Tags
electrolyte, lead acid battery, sodium

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed