Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users New to CHF? Post up here and introduce yourself!

Old Dec 6th 2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Richh

Richh is on a distinguished road
Copper electrlysis

Set up 2 copper electrodes in beaker- 50/50 muratic acid water- 12v across electrodes-ques.-what copper product can i expect at each electrode?
Richh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th 2017, 11:39 PM   #2
oz93666

oz93666 is on a distinguished road
"muriatic is the common name for industrial, or less pure, grades of hydrochloric acid."

No copper deposits , you need a copper solution to transfer copper ...

You'll split up the acid into chlorine gas at the +ve and hyrogen gas at the -ve electrode
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th 2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Richh

Am looking to produce a colorant for blue pyrotechnic colors-thought i would get some form of chloride-what i get is a white film growth at pos electrode that builds to point of no more current flow,neg electrode looks like ethed copper-electrolyte deep emerald green-almost no gas production at either electrode (12v)-when i scrape off the dry white film and wash it,not soluable in water-what ever is this stuff? Makes most buetiful blue in my star formula!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 01:59 AM   #4
oz93666

I see ...you want any copper compound to give color to a flame ...

Dissolving the copper in nitric acid would be best , but I guess you don't have this ...

doing by electrolysis , hydrochloric acid may work in a limited way , the nascent chlorine released will react with the copper ... have a look on Youtube , salt water electrolysis with copper electrodes or just put copper in hydrogen peroxide and vinegar (see Youtube)
Old Dec 8th 2017, 05:56 AM   #5
Richh

Im sorry....you're not getting the question...what could be that product formed at pos electrode? If i can buy it why bother making it. I have copper ii chloride,copp ii oxychloride,copper carbonate, copper powder, black copper oxide,in my inventory.... have been using PARIS GREEN but cant get. Thanks
Old Dec 8th 2017, 07:21 PM   #6
oz93666

Electrolysis of pure hydrochloric acid with no corroding electrodes will give chlorine gas at the +ve anode and hydrogen gas at the cathode .

Using pure copper as electrodes , chlorine may react with the chlorine to a limited extent but this is pale blue ...

Any pure white deposit can only come from impurities either in the acid , or copper ..

I would try changing the electrodes to see if this effects results , the copper used in house wiring is pure.

Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed