Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Advanced Chemistry Forum Organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biological chemistry questions go here.

Old May 7th 2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Dila

Dila is on a distinguished road
Question about plant derived minerals

Hello guys!

I need your help.

I came across this website called Youngevity. They manufacture multi-vitamins and minerals that come in a powder form that you have to mix with water. They claim that their multi-vitamins/minerals are absorbed better because they are in a liquid form (even though a drink does have a sediment) and also because their minerals come from plant sources. They claim that their minerals come from Mineral Extracts from Pre Historic Plant Deposits in Southern Utah.

I sent them an email about the origin of their minerals and they sent me the link for the chemical analysis of Majestic Earth Minerals. (http://ygy-cdn-01.azureedge.net/wp-c...a/analysis.pdf) which I assume they use in their products.

I have a strong suspicion that they are lying about their products solely containing plant derived minerals. I think they put cheap and abundant version of metallic minerals in their products, along with a little splash of plant derived minerals but claim that the minerals are all plant derived. Here’s why.

Looking at the chemical analysis of Majestic Earth Minerals from the link above I see that the real plant derived minerals are in trace amounts and not in the chelated form.
However the label for one of their products called "Beyond Osteo-fx powder" contains chelated form of minerals in much higher concentrations than would typically be found in plant minerals.

Here is the list of minerals from one of the Youngevity’s products called Beyond Osteo- fx.

Per each serving (2 scoops):

Calcium (as tri-calcium phosphate, calcium citrate)- 1200 mg
Phosphorus (as tri-calcium phosphate)- 600 mg
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate)- 300 mg
Zink (as zink gluconate)- 5 mg
Copper (as copper gluconate)- 0.05 mg
Boron (as amino acid chelate)- 1 mg
Strontium (from strontium chloride)- 500 mcg
Other ingredients: Plant derived mineral complex, inulin etc.

They do list plant derived minerals on their label but I don’t think the amounts listed above could come solely from plant derived minerals.

They also sell Plant Derived Minerals (from Utah) as a separate product which I am sure are plant derived. The label doesn’t even list the amounts, because they are so small. However the products I specifically asked them about through multiple emails were:
Beyond Tangy Tangerine - https://www.buyygy.com/90forlifestor...420-g-canister
And Beyond Osteo-fx - https://www.buyygy.com/90forlifestor...-357g-canister

I am no chemist so of course I could be wrong about the whole thing.
If anyone can shed light on the matter, I would be very grateful.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance!
Dila
Dila is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed