Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Advanced Chemistry Forum Organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biological chemistry questions go here.

Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
sadbrewer

sadbrewer is on a distinguished road
Chlorophenols In Beer Help Please

Hello to all on this forum. I am not a chemist or student, I am a homebrewer with a problem.

I have three batches (over 60 bottles) of home brewed beer that have a medicinal/band aide flavor that the is commonly associated with chlorophenols in the home brewing community.

I have researched the internet for 3 days and have read about soy bean hull peroxidase being used to treat waste water but I honestly do not understand any of the terminology as I have no chemistry background.

My question is can chlorophenols be removed or neutralized from the beer itself, the bottles it is in and the plastic fermentors/utensils?

Any help is most gratefully appreciated. I will happily answer any questions.

Thank you.
sadbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
bjhopper

bjhopper is on a distinguished road
funny taste in home brew

Try adding a couple 0f spoonfuls of activated carbon to a bottle. Filter and see if the taste disappears
bjhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
sadbrewer

Thank you for the prompt reply bjhopper. I have been looking up activated carbon.
I vaguely remember using it many years ago for an aquarium.

I have seen that some brewers use carbon instead of campden tablets (which I have now started using) to remove chlorine and chloromines from the water they brew with but that some length of time/re-circulation is required.

For an already bottled beer can I poor it over a strainer filled with the activated charcoal into a glass?
Old Jun 30th 2013, 04:10 AM   #4
bjhopper

chlorophenols in brew

Hello sadbrewer,
You have two problems.One to decide what to do with 60 bottles of funny tasting brew and two revising your procedure for future brews.I suggest you try using carbon.You need to experiment.Start by using two spoonfuls in a large glass of your beer and mixing for about five minutes with beer at room temp.If this helps you will be on the track.(filter to a clear brew)
Pretreatment of your water is the best approach for future.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 12:59 PM   #5
sadbrewer

Okay so I finally got to town and found the activated carbon. It is a flaked variety for use in aquariums.

I will rinse it with RO water to remove the dust and was thinking I could put it in empty tea bags as a filter to treat the beer, would that work?

Can I sterilize activated carbon by boiling or putting it in the oven?

Also if I can treat one bottle at a time with tea bags before drinking they will need to be cold, is that okay? If I treat a whole batch at a time I'm not sure how I would redo the carbonation as I do not have a kegging system.

Sorry for all the extra questions but hate to just throw them all out and willing to experiment on possible solutions.

Thank you
Old Jul 9th 2013, 05:40 PM   #6
bjhopper

I would use granular active carbon.Try adding a couple of teaspoons of carbon to a glass of the beerand mix for a couple of minutes.Filter out the carbon and see if the RX works.If this offers promise you can treat the carbon in boiling water,filter and dry to pastuerize the carbon
Old Jul 10th 2013, 09:43 PM   #7
kaiyara

kaiyara is on a distinguished road
The ionizable proton is bonded to N in (CH3)3NH+. Nitrogen and oxygen are in the same row of the periodic table, so their relative electronegativities are the determining factor. Oxygen is more electronegative than nitrogen, therefore CH3CH2OH is stronger acid than (CH3)3NH.
This the reason why reaction flows from left to right
actualtests ceh v7 actualtests ceh v7
kaiyara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 04:50 AM   #8
sadbrewer

Well tried a reply the other day but it didn't post so trying again.
kaiyara, I have no chemistry background so I have no idea what your post means.

I did get the off flavor out of the beer with the 2 spoons of activated carbon however there was extensive foaming and the beer was warm and flat by the time the carbon did it's job.
I tried pouring another beer into a large juice jar adding the carbon a sealing it, then put it on ice over night. That beer also was flat and the carbon also seemed to have diminished the hop flavor and aroma quite a bit.
I assume that the activated carbon is absorbing other ingredients in the beer when in contact for an extended period of time.

Does anyone know if campden tablets can treat chlorine/chloromine after it becomes chlorophenols?
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 05:47 AM   #9
bjhopper

chlorophenols in beer

Hello sadbrewer,
Now that you know that carbon is effective you need to address its shortcomings.Reduce the amount of carbon and time of contact.You can add CO2 to bring back fizz.Mix a bottle of good brew to each bottle of treated (done in bulk).Testing of course on 1 bottle of bad.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 03:17 AM   #10
shagydeep

shagydeep is on a distinguished road
Wink

Hello,
Would like to test it.
shagydeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed