Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users New to CHF? Post up here and introduce yourself!

Old Oct 6th 2018, 05:16 AM   #1
B9766

B9766 is on a distinguished road
Hello CHF

I've been a long-term member of Math Help Forum and found this one through them.

I'm retired from 50+ years in the computer software industry and now taking college courses focused around bio-chem. As one might imagine, Chem I and II from 1967 are a few years out of date. There are 15 new elements now, Orbital theory wasn't yet accepted (nor taught) back then, and the structure of DNA hadn't been discovered. A lot has changed. And I forgot a lot.

So I'm a college sophomore again but with a twist: Unlike the first time through I'm not taking courses to get a grade or to graduate. Last time, I learned HOW to do things - use formulas, definitions, etc. Now I want to learn WHY things are the way they are. How did Thompson measure the electron mass/charge ratio and why? What led him to that line of experimentation? Why did he think that electrons weren't waves like many of his counterparts?

At this stage of my life, knowledge is fascinating. I hope members of this forum will be patient with my lack of knowledge and continuous questioning.
B9766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th 2018, 02:21 AM   #2
Woody

Woody is on a distinguished road
Hello back to you

Unfortunately this forum is almost moribund.
I myself found it just recently via the Physics Help Forum.
I am only slightly younger then yourself, so my chemistry is also of a similar age...

Currently the only regular poster is FBHFYBRYRBTY
and judging by the formulaic nature of the posts
and the scatter gun choice of topics
I am not convinced that these are genuine...

If you have some specific questions, I will try to help.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th 2018, 05:33 AM   #3
B9766

Thanks Woody,

I've used the Math Help Forum before and it's pretty active. Sorry to see this one isn't. Also disappointed this one doesn't seem to support LaTex input.

I've also used math.stackexchange.com before and found their chemistry.stackexchange.com is active and does support LaTex. I posted a problem there about what I think is a typo in my college text book. You may want to check it out. I use the same user-name on all the forums.

Best,

B9766
Old Oct 8th 2018, 06:01 AM   #4
B9766

Belay that site recommendation

Hi Woody,

Just wanted to let you know that the site I'm using isn't the stackexchange site but is www.chemicalforums.com. They're very responsive.

Is there an administrator that can just block the character posting the weird stuff on this site?

Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed