Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Advanced Chemistry Forum Organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biological chemistry questions go here.

Old May 15th 2017, 11:14 AM   #1
holdenmt

holdenmt is on a distinguished road
modifying consistency of paint stripper made from lye

Hello, new here, and thank you. Simply, I make my own paint stripper from pure lye, water, and cornstarch but it is too...mucousy. Can't find a better word (although I'm certain there's a chemical one!). The cornstarch of course thickens it but too much, and it gets gelatinous; too little and there's not a thick enough layer on the wall. Interestingly, heating the whole mix to boiling does something and it does come out less gelatinous and adheres better - but I'm still wondering if there is a way to get it to be more paste-like? Thank you.

Maria
holdenmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd 2017, 01:54 AM   #2
oz93666

oz93666 is on a distinguished road
Hi Maria ... It's the lye (either sodium or potassium hydroxide) that's doing the stripping , so i think you want this as strong as possible ..

I guess the purpose of cornstarch is to make it stick onto vertical surfaces , on horizontal surfaces I would think it would work quicker without the starch....

Anyway , this is very easy , just vary the amount of corn starch till you get the right consistency , sounds like you've gone from one extreme to the other , one too sticky , the other not sticky enough ...adjust things carefully and slowly... good luck.
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed