Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Undergraduate Chemistry Forum

Undergraduate Chemistry Forum Ask your undergraduate chemistry questions here.

Old May 24th 2018, 08:13 AM   #1
peterspm

peterspm is on a distinguished road
aqua regia from HCL and sulfuric acid?

i have 4 l of spring water, 200 ml clear concentrated HCL (muriatic acid), and 20-100 ml clear concentrated sulfuric acid (H2S04). is there a way to turn the sulfuric acid to nitric acid so i have aqua regia?
total newbie
peterspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th 2018, 12:08 AM   #2
oz93666

oz93666 is on a distinguished road
the sulphuric acid needs to be VERY concentrated . it should move like oil .... if it looks and moves around like water it's too dilute ...battery acid is too dilute ......

put some on a sugar cube and 98% concentrated sulphuric acid will turn it into charcoal ... see Youtube

If you can get come of this 98% sulphuric acid it will react with potassium or sodium nitrate , heat the mixture and nitric acid will boil off and can be collected in a cooled container .
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th 2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Elric

Elric is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by peterspm View Post
i have 4 l of spring water, 200 ml clear concentrated HCL (muriatic acid), and 20-100 ml clear concentrated sulfuric acid (H2S04). is there a way to turn the sulfuric acid to nitric acid so i have aqua regia?
total newbie

Nope. You need a nitrate salt. As the poster above me mentioned. Do you have a way to do distillations? If you do, then you can make you’re HNO3 and mix with you’re HCl to get the desired product.

Does this forum not support BBC code?

Last edited by Elric; May 29th 2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: BBC code
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Undergraduate Chemistry Forum

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed