Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Advanced Chemistry Forum Organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biological chemistry questions go here.

Old Aug 15th 2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Beard

Beard is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Silane oxidation mechanism

Hi,

I am trying to work out the mechanism for the formation of diphenylsilanediol (Ph2Si(OH)2) from diphenylsilane (Ph2SiH2). The other reagents used in addition to the diphenylsilane are sodium tert-butoxide and acetonitrile and the reaction is catalysed by gold nanoparticles.

I believe that the tert-butoxide deprotonates the silane to form (Ph2SiH)- but it is how that can then become the disilanol that I am having a problem with. I think that atomspheric molecular oxygen is the source but whether it adsorbs onto the surface of the gold nanoparticles is unknown to me. Perhaps a radical pathway is required, similar to fig 13. in DOI:10.1002/0471440264.pst591?

Kind regards

Beard

A photon enters into a hotel and is asked by a porter for his bags, the photon replies "no thanks, I'm traveling light"

Last edited by Beard; Aug 15th 2017 at 01:12 PM.
Beard is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Advanced Chemistry Forum

Tags
catalysis, gold, mechanism, oxidation reaction, radical

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed