Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Undergraduate Chemistry Forum

Undergraduate Chemistry Forum Ask your undergraduate chemistry questions here.

Old Nov 1st 2011, 07:54 PM   #1
bennettb6

bennettb6 is on a distinguished road
Orgo: Prepare compound B from A

My chem exam had this question and I couldn't figure out how to put it together.

Propose a method to prepare compound B from compound A

Both compounds are benzene with an ethane attached, only compound A has an OH attached to the first branch of the ethane and compound B has it attached to the end (second branch) of the ethane.

If someone could tell me how to properly name these compounds that'd be cool too
bennettb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Unknown008

Unknown008 will become famous soon enough
To be honest, I'm getting rusty with those

Well, the first is called 1-phenyl ethanol and the second is 2-phenyl ethanol.

The only thing I'm able to think of now is first to dehydrate the alcohol using concentrated H2SO4 which gives us phenyl ethene, and from there, maybe some way to hydrate the second branch instead of the first somehow...

That is, if I understood the compounds well.

If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Thank you for leaving a reputation to my post

Unknown008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
bennettb6

bennettb6 is on a distinguished road
So a friend of mine explained it today, but I don't know how much she knows what she's talking about, can anyone confirm this?

She said you can add H+ in the presence of heat and h2o to dehydrate the alcohol, and then hydrobromate it with HBr in the presence of H2O2 and OH because that will add an OH group on the end because that process has anti markovnikov regiochemistry.

What do you think?
bennettb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Unknown008

Unknown008 will become famous soon enough
Yes, reacting the alcohol with water vapour gives the same product as with concentrated sulfuric acid, so you now get phenyl ethene.

And as for the other part, I'm not familiar with Markovnikov's reactions at all

*Just looked it up and if that really is an anti Markovnikov rule reaction, then it works perfectly!

You get 2-phenyl monobromoethane first, the halogen which then gets substituted by OH (nucleophilic substitution).

If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Thank you for leaving a reputation to my post

Unknown008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Undergraduate Chemistry Forum

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed