Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Undergraduate Chemistry Forum

Undergraduate Chemistry Forum Ask your undergraduate chemistry questions here.

Old Dec 8th 2011, 01:51 PM   #1
pastacshio

pastacshio is on a distinguished road
Answer Verification

Here's the problem:

Bryan Allen made aviation history by pedaling the Gossamer Albatross from near Folkestone, England to Cap Gris Nez, France, from 4:51 AM to 7:40 AM on June 12, 1979. During this flight, he continually produced about a third of a horsepower (1hp=0.7451997 KJ/s). Consider that the energy available from the hydrolysis of ATP is 31.4 Kj/mole, determine the number of moles of ATP required for this flight. For simplicity, assume that the muscles are 50% efficient in the conversion of chemical energy into mechanical energy. Finally, how many moles of glucose must Mr. Allen have metabolized to produce that much ATP? Total moles of ATP produced from one mole of glucose assume to be 38.

I think I've done it right, here's the steps i took:

1) Find time flown 169min*60sec/min= 10140sec.

2) Find total energy needed 1 hp/3= .2484kJ/sec * 10140sec = 2519 KJ

3) Find moles of ATP needed (2519 KJ)(1 mole ATP/31.4 KJ) = 80.22 mole ATP

4) Convert to glucose (80.22 mole ATP)(1 mole Glucose/38 mole ATP)= 2.111 mole Glucose

5) Multiply by 2 to account for muscle efficiency.

6) Final answer: 4.22 mole Glucose

Could someone check my work? Did I do the problem right and are my significant figures correct?
pastacshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th 2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Unknown008

Unknown008 will become famous soon enough
It's good, only thing I would like to point out is that the number of moles of ATP is also doubled, since it's still in the form of chemical energy.

If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Thank you for leaving a reputation to my post

Unknown008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Chemistry Forums > Undergraduate Chemistry Forum

Tags
glucose

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed