Go Back   Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

New Users New to CHF? Post up here and introduce yourself!

Old Nov 17th 2016, 04:01 AM   #1
nickbooth

nickbooth is on a distinguished road
Question adding weight to acetic acid

Hello, i am fairly new to this and in need of expert advice i am creating a product for my industry which is made up of 5% acetic acid and 95% water so basically vinegar, but the application is through spray nozzles and due to the low viscosity of the solution it travels to far during the spray procedure, i need to find a way of reducing the travel of it as it contaminates parts of our equipment,the only way i can think of is to increase the viscosity or increasing the weight of it but am unsure which chemical of additive to use as to not interfere with the ph levels. i'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction and any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

look forward to your responses....
nickbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:46 PM   #2
topsquark

topsquark is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nickbooth View Post
Hello, i am fairly new to this and in need of expert advice i am creating a product for my industry which is made up of 5% acetic acid and 95% water so basically vinegar, but the application is through spray nozzles and due to the low viscosity of the solution it travels to far during the spray procedure, i need to find a way of reducing the travel of it as it contaminates parts of our equipment,the only way i can think of is to increase the viscosity or increasing the weight of it but am unsure which chemical of additive to use as to not interfere with the ph levels. i'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction and any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

look forward to your responses....
Flour usually works for thickening my gravy...

Seriously. Are you spraying the vinegar at something or using the sprayer to make the mixture? If you are spraying the mixture I would guess it would have to be something that does not dissolve in your mixture. Perhaps some sort of ceramic like alumina?

-Dan
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:09 AM   #3
nickbooth

nickbooth is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
Flour usually works for thickening my gravy...

Seriously. Are you spraying the vinegar at something or using the sprayer to make the mixture? If you are spraying the mixture I would guess it would have to be something that does not dissolve in your mixture. Perhaps some sort of ceramic like alumina?

-Dan
Hi thanks for your reply. We spray the mixture only to tshirts during a print process I was thinking of going down the route of propolyne gylocol but am unsure if it is soluable in acetic acid
nickbooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Chemistry Help Forum > Lobby > New Users

Tags
thickening acetic acid

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed