a cat needs a pH meter?

May 2014
Hello. I'm posting on behalf of Magic the Tom-Cat (yes, a real feline) who was rushed to the vets recently with struvite crystals blocking his waterworks. He nearly exploded, must have been painful. The Vet has put him on a prescription diet for life, in case the problem recurs. Very expensive cat-food that basically adds uric acid to his diet to prevent his urine being alkaline.

I'm told that a high-meat diet will give him acidic urine too, saving me an expense, and he could still have some non-meat treats.

So I've bought him a cheap pH meter. I've put it in local rainwater and got a reading of 9.4; in tap water and got 6.9; then I scooped up wet litter from his tray and added rain water, strained it and got 8.7.

Now, do these readings mean anything? Can one actually compare pH readings in any way or any combination? Is there a way to find out whether his urine is acidic or alkaline? I could then tell if I've balanced his diet enough to reduce the risk of another big vet bill and an unhappy moggie straining over his tray.

Thanks for listening.

May 2010
cat urine

pH paper stripes would be more reliable than a cheap pH meter.You would need a cat litter free of electrolytes.Slurry a small amount in distilled water and test the supernatant Clear fluid when litter sinks