aqua regia from HCL and sulfuric acid?

May 2018
TN
i have 4 l of spring water, 200 ml clear concentrated HCL (muriatic acid), and 20-100 ml clear concentrated sulfuric acid (H2S04). is there a way to turn the sulfuric acid to nitric acid so i have aqua regia?
total newbie

May 2017
thailand
the sulphuric acid needs to be VERY concentrated . it should move like oil .... if it looks and moves around like water it's too dilute ...battery acid is too dilute ......

put some on a sugar cube and 98% concentrated sulphuric acid will turn it into charcoal ... see Youtube

If you can get come of this 98% sulphuric acid it will react with potassium or sodium nitrate , heat the mixture and nitric acid will boil off and can be collected in a cooled container .

Mar 2018
Kentucky
i have 4 l of spring water, 200 ml clear concentrated HCL (muriatic acid), and 20-100 ml clear concentrated sulfuric acid (H2S04). is there a way to turn the sulfuric acid to nitric acid so i have aqua regia?
total newbie

Nope. You need a nitrate salt. As the poster above me mentioned. Do you have a way to do distillations? If you do, then you can make you’re HNO3 and mix with you’re HCl to get the desired product.

Does this forum not support BBC code?

Last edited:
Similar Chemistry Discussions Chemistry Forum Date
Advanced Chemistry
Undergraduate Chemistry