Dangerous combination? Drano question

Jan 2020
Ohio
Hi, I used Drano Max Gel last night in the shower upstairs and in the drain in the floor that the water from the laundry washer gets drained into. I used bleach several days ago when washing clothes and laundry detergent would go to the same floor drain. The drain continued to back up after using Drano Max Gel and I am worried about the residue sitting on the floor. The paint that was on the floor has started peeling up. I am concerned about fumes and other laundry products creating harmful fumes if it mixes with the residue and worried about stepping in the areas where the water backed up where the floor is peeling

Apr 2015
Depends upon what went down your drain to cause the blockage.

Drano is caustic alkali so will clear soap and grease residues very well.

But it does nothing against any cement or plaster based products or tile adhesive and grout.
You need an acid based drain cleaner for that.

Since I am not in the USA (Drano is an american product) I don't know any trade name for these, but there are certainly some in the England, based on one or more of Hydrochloric or phosphoric acids.
Follow the instructions exactly since these are more likely to generate noxious gas in their action.

Reactions: chip and topsquark
Jan 2020
Ohio
Depends upon what went down your drain to cause the blockage.

Drano is caustic alkali so will clear soap and grease residues very well.

But it does nothing against any cement or plaster based products or tile adhesive and grout.
You need an acid based drain cleaner for that.

Since I am not in the USA (Drano is an american product) I don't know any trade name for these, but there are certainly some in the England, based on one or more of Hydrochloric or phosphoric acids.
Follow the instructions exactly since these are more likely to generate noxious gas in their action.
Thank you so much!

Apr 2015
Of course it might not be a blockage due to something that has entered the drain at all.
There might be mechanical damage or even collapse to a pipe.

In which case you need a builder.

Jan 2020
Ohio
Thankfully the pipe is draining but I am worried about the Drano Max Gel residue on the floor. If I do laundry using All Free and Clear laundry detergent and if any laundry detergent mixes with the Drano Max Gel residue can toxic fumes be created?

Apr 2015
One thread per subject please.

Definitely not 3.

The caustic soda in Drano is also used in some paint strippers so it may attack the paint on the floor.
So clean it up with rubber gloves and lots of water.

It may smell a bit laundry like but there will be no toxic fumes, with or without detergent.
In that respect Drano is safer than acid based drain clearers.

Reactions: topsquark and chip
Jan 2020
Ohio
Thankfully the pipe is draining but I am worried about the Drano Max Gel residue on the floor. If I do laundry using All Free and Clear laundry detergent and if any laundry detergent mixes with the Drano Max Gel residue can toxic fumes be created
One thread per subject please.

Definitely not 3.

The caustic soda in Drano is also used in some paint strippers so it may attack the paint on the floor.
So clean it up with rubber gloves and lots of water.

It may smell a bit laundry like but there will be no toxic fumes, with or without detergent.
Sorry, was overly concerned for days. Thank you so much! Been stressing out for days.

Apr 2015

Reactions: help1985
Similar Chemistry Discussions Chemistry Forum Date
High School Chemistry