Freeze Dry with Dry Ice

Jun 2013
Hello all,
I read a piece in Popular Mechanics about freeze drying food with dry ice.

Put frozen food into a Ziploc squeeze out the air, place in an ice chest add dry ice and 24 hours later all the dry ice is gone and the food should be finished.

Well, my experiment failed utterly.

I used frozen corn, green peas and blueberries each weighed out for one pound bags and bought 5 pounds of dry ice.

The dry ice was in block form so I broke it up with a pestle and sprinkled it onto the bottom of the ice chest and put the three bags on top.

The next day all I had was thawed fruit and vegies.

So my question to you good folks is obvious... was that all a total myth or can it actually be made to work.

I would like to use this method on some of my garden vegetables if it is possible. Maybe I just did it wrong?

Thank you

topsquark

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
Any place where Alyson Hannigan can find me
You have to have a way to remove the moisture from the freezing food for this to work. Your Zip-Lock baggies won't do that. Here's a link that might do a better job explaining the "how tos" than Popular Mechanics.

-Dan

Jun 2013
You have to have a way to remove the moisture from the freezing food for this to work. Your Zip-Lock baggies won't do that. Here's a link that might do a better job explaining the "how tos" than Popular Mechanics.

-Dan
Thanks Dan, We all asked ourselves right off how it would work if the bag was closed.
I was hoping to get stuff freeze dried and then transfer to Mylar style bags for longer term storage.