HELP! Design an experiment using sequential qualitative analysis to determine whether

Sep 2013
I need help with the following chemistry question! Please help!

Design an experiment using sequential qualitative analysis to determine whether a solution contains acetate or carbonate ions. For each stage of the test, write net ionic equations for the reaction that produces the precipitate.

Unknown008

CHF Hall of Fame
May 2010
Mauritius
Have you tried anything so far? How would you go about identifying the anions acetate and carbonate usually?

Feb 2013
Michigan
Add concentrated HCl. The carbonate ion, CO3^2-, will produce CO2 gas (bubbling or fizzing). The acetate ion, CH3COO-, will form acetic acid, CH3COOH, which smells like vinegar. To confirm the CO2, let it react with a solution of Ba(OH)2 and look for a white precipitate. To confirm the acetate, add concentrated H2SO4 and isoamyl alcohol to a separate sample. Heat the mixture and observe the isoamyl acetate formed (banana smell).

Last edited:
Sep 2019
USA
Chemistry is the subject of science deal with the chemical and the material related to the chemical as well. The experience that is shared here has the worth of glory at writemypaper4me.org review to review the paper of their type and nature that build in.

May 2015
New Delhi -India
I need help with the following chemistry question! Please help!

Design an experiment using sequential qualitative analysis to determine whether a solution contains acetate or carbonate ions. For each stage of the test, write net ionic equations for the reaction that produces the precipitate.
It is qualitative so very simple
Carbonates precipitates out as white solid with BaCl2
White precipitates are of BaSO4
For acetates add ethanol with few drops of H2SO4 -fruity smell indicates formation of ester ethyl ethanoate Now try equations yourself.