Help!! Solubility/Acids and bases questions

May 2014
Hi, I am currently working on some chemistry homework and struggling hard. The questions deal with solubility and acids and bases. There are three questions in particular that I do not know how to do.

1. What would be the solubility of nickel (II) hydroxide in a 0.05M solution of strontium hydroxide? Determine the concentration of all ions in the solution.

2. What would be the pH, pOH, and ion concentrations in a solution prepared by mixing 0.04 moles of ammonia into 400mL of a 0.03M ammonium carbonate solution?

3. If 50mL of a 0.4M calcium chloride solution is mixed with 60mL of 0.5M sodium phosphate, determine the solubility, and the ion concentrations at equilibrium.

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am lost.

May 2010
Hi, I am currently working on some chemistry homework and struggling hard. The questions deal with solubility and acids and bases. There are three questions in particular that I do not know how to do.

1. What would be the solubility of nickel (II) hydroxide in a 0.05M solution of strontium hydroxide? Determine the concentration of all ions in the solution.

2. What would be the pH, pOH, and ion concentrations in a solution prepared by mixing 0.04 moles of ammonia into 400mL of a 0.03M ammonium carbonate solution?

3. If 50mL of a 0.4M calcium chloride solution is mixed with 60mL of 0.5M sodium phosphate, determine the solubility, and the ion concentrations at equilibrium.

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am lost.
In your High School Class are you shown Solubility Product
Equations? It would help you to Google this topic.Purdue U has excellent examples.

May 2014
The following may be the precise answers to your first question.

First step, find the molecular formula of Nickel(II) hydroxide and strontium hydroxide.
e.g. Nickelt(II) hydroxide : Ni(OH)2
You need it to be soluble in 0.05 M Strontium hydroxide.

In case of Ni(OH)2, it ionizes into one Ni2+ and 2OH-.
So the concentration of OH is twice as Ni.

You have 0.5 M x 2 OH = 1 M OH
0.5 M x 1 Ni2+ = 0.5 M Ni2+.
You can do the same calculation for Strontium hydroxide.

To answer to the solubility, Ni(OH)2 is quite soluble in water, acid and alkaline solutions. Strontium hydroxide is a caustic alkali. So Ni(OH)2 is quite soluble in 0.5 M of strontium hydroxide.

I hope that you got some answer from this.

Regards
Kesavan Devarayan
www.chesci.com
[email protected]

May 2010
Solubility

According to Langes Handbook of Chemistry
Sr(OH)2 has a solubility of 17.7 g per liter
Ni(OH)2 has a solubility of 13 mg per liter