how to extract capsaicin?

Jan 2020
Poland
Hi,
Has anyone tried to extract capsaicin at home enviroment? How did you do that? How much did you get and how pure it was? In general Id like to make just for fun and training but Im not saying that won't be tried by anyone because I heard it isn't deadly just uncomfortable so Id like to use some safe to eat method :p I was thinking just about chopping and put to ethanol for few weeks and then evaporate the ethanol, is that good method and enough? Will normal red long chilli work or must be the spicer spieces?

Sep 2018
England
Your method would not give you a particularly pure capsaicin solution
because lots of other compounds from the chilli would also dissolve in the ethanol.
However it could give you a fearsome hot sauce.

Be careful with your source of ethanol, as it is commonly deliberately spiked with (poisonous) methanol,
and unpleasant emetics (puke inducers) to make it undrinkable (and therefore not liable to alcohol tax).

Googling around I found this site <How to extract Capsaicin> which uses your method.
To make it into a proper sauce, perhaps add some nice vegetable oil.

Reactions: topsquark
Jan 2020
Poland
Your method would not give you a particularly pure capsaicin solution
because lots of other compounds from the chilli would also dissolve in the ethanol.
However it could give you a fearsome hot sauce.

Be careful with your source of ethanol, as it is commonly deliberately spiked with (poisonous) methanol,
and unpleasant emetics (puke inducers) to make it undrinkable (and therefore not liable to alcohol tax).

Googling around I found this site <How to extract Capsaicin> which uses your method.
To make it into a proper sauce, perhaps add some nice vegetable oil.
i need as pure as possible :D I wanna use rectified spirit :)

Sep 2018
England
You might be able to improve the purity by using a sequence of solutes (perhaps alcohol, vegetable oil, water?)
where the solubility of capsaicin is higher in one solute, while the impurities are more soluble in the other.
The problem is that there are lots of compounds (colors and flavours) in chillis, that have very similar chemical properties.
because they have very similar chemical properties, their solubility is very similar.
Also I have no knowledge of the relative solubility of any of these compounds,
so I can give no guidance other than trial and lots of error...

Jan 2020
Poland
You might be able to improve the purity by using a sequence of solutes (perhaps alcohol, vegetable oil, water?)
where the solubility of capsaicin is higher in one solute, while the impurities are more soluble in the other.
The problem is that there are lots of compounds (colors and flavours) in chillis, that have very similar chemical properties.
because they have very similar chemical properties, their solubility is very similar.
Also I have no knowledge of the relative solubility of any of these compounds,
so I can give no guidance other than trial and lots of error...
ok, I ll try :) But what you think, should peppers be dried before extracting or can be in their normal form just chopped and grinded?

Sep 2018
England
I am guessing but I might try extracting with water first, then drying first would not be required.
a problem with water would be with it going moldy if left to steep for a long time,
so boil and seal the mixture before steeping, (fill the jars to avoid oxidation from any air in the jar).
Then mix the water 50/50 with oil into (filled) jars, shake vigorously regularly.
Then taste the oil and the water, to see which contains most capsaicin,
I am hoping the oil, which can then be separated off and put into jars with the ethanol
(shake vigorously regularly).

But note that I am very much making this up as I go!
I have no idea if this will actually work!

Jan 2020
Poland
I am guessing but I might try extracting with water first, then drying first would not be required.
a problem with water would be with it going moldy if left to steep for a long time,
so boil and seal the mixture before steeping, (fill the jars to avoid oxidation from any air in the jar).
Then split 50/50 into (filled) jars with oil, shake vigorously regularly.
Then taste the oil and the water, to see which contains most capsaicin,
I am hoping the oil, which can then be separated off and put into jars with the ethanol
(shake vigorously regularly).

But note that I am very much making this up as I go!
I have no idea if this will actually work!
cool, thanks I ll try

Apr 2015
Have you tried googling the solubility of capsaicin?

It is very soluble in water, rather less in alcohol ?
PubChem for instance has a list.

Reactions: topsquark