IR Spectroscopy question.

Jun 2014
I’m sitting a deferred exam this Summer in Physical Chem. While looking over past exam papers in the spectroscopy section I found this question. It’s so different to the other exam papers which dealt with Raman and microwave rotational spectroscopy:

1H79Br gas was analysed using an IR absorption spectrometer. A fundamental vibration at 2575.15cm-1 and an overtone band at 5022.78cm-1 were measured.

(a) Calculate the equilibrium oscillation frequency (in cm-1) and the anharmonicity constant.

(b) Explain how you could measure the equilibrium bond distance of 1H79 with a high degree of accuracy using a different spectroscopic technique? Provide appropriate equations to illustrate your answer.

(c) In the high resolution vibrational spectrum of 1H79Br, the separation between the lines in the P and R branches of the spectrum are different. Explain why this is so. :confused:

I can’t for the life of me figure out how to do any of this and my notes don't seem to have anything on this :(
Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know what to do.

Totster.