Needing to make a solution of particular Molarity

Aug 2013
I am a behavioral ecologist and really having trouble figuring out how to make the correct solution for an experiment I am running. I need to make a 1 M solution of quinine hydrochloride (mw 396.91 g/mol) mixed with fish food (brine shrimp), gelatin, and water. My recipe is .5 ox of gelatin powder to 1.25c of water and 8 frozen brine shrimp cubes. Can anyone explain how to get a 1M solution of quinine food mixture?

Last edited:
May 2010
I am a behavioral ecologist and really having trouble figuring out how to make the correct solution for an experiment I am running. I need to make a 1 M solution of quinine hydrochloride (mw 396.91 g/mol) mixed with fish food (brine shrimp), gelatin, and water. My recipe is .5 ox of gelatin powder to 1.25c of water and 8 frozen brine shrimp cubes. Can anyone explain how to get a 1M solution of quinine food mixture?
A 1M solution contains 397 gms of the hydrochloride in 1000ml.This would be a lot for 8little shrimp.Clarify your shrimp recipe

Aug 2013
haha. oops! The 8 brine shrimp cubes are frozen cubes of chopped up shrimp that I mix in for the larger fish to eat.

So If, lets say I want .001M I would use .396 g/L of water? And use that stock to make the jello

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2010
So If, lets say I want .001M I would use .396 g/L of water? And use that stock to make the jello

How many milligrams of quininehydrochloride do you want in the 1.25ml of water in your recipe?