Rate of Reaction (Iodine Clock) Experiment

May 2013
Hello :)

Can somebody please provide me with some assistance to this question? I have attached an image to verify what I mean, but for our Iodine Clock practical we have to design a procedure similar to Part A for Part B but Iodide ions are now the variable and Peroxydisulfate is the constant. What would the steps be? I assume it is very similar to Part A, but steps 2 and 3 are throwing me off...would Step 2 be add 10mL of Peroxydisulfate and Step 3 be to add 10mL of Thiosulfate (S2O3^2-) before adding Iodide ions in step 5 as that is the concentration variable?? I don't understand why adding Peroxydisulfate and Thiosulfate ions would even do anything before adding the Iodide ions anyway?

If somebody please could verify the Part B procedure that would be fantastic as I'm struggling for such an easy task!

Thanks

Attachments

Unknown008

CHF Hall of Fame
May 2010
Mauritius
Yes, you can add the iodine at step 5 instead of at step 2 and proceed similarly to Part A. This will work because S2O3^2- doesn't react with S2O8^2-. Otherwise, it wouldn't be working.

This is because the 'starting' reaction (the reaction with with everything starts) is between S2O8^2- and I^-.

Otherwise, to be safer or if you are not sure what reactants react with which, just carry out Part A, but with Step 2 as adding different concentrations of I^- and step 5 as adding a constant concentration of S2O8^2-.

May 2013
Thanks very much Unknown008, I knew I had the correct procedure but I just keep doubting myself as I wasn't sure what the point of adding S2O3^2- and S2O8^2- in separate steps was or if I was to leave a chemical out altogether...

Thanks again :D

Unknown008

CHF Hall of Fame
May 2010
Mauritius
You're welcome :)