The separation techniques

Eke

Apr 2013
please any one, I need a short and rememberABLE WAY for the separation techniques and their uses... pleased anyone

Feb 2013
Michigan
1) Filtration
To separate a solid from a liquid
2) Decantation
To separate a solid from a liquid
3) Extraction
To separate one component of a solid mixture by dissolving it in a hot liquid.
4) Distillation
(a)To separate a dissolve solid (salt) from a solution (salt water)
(b) To separate two or more liquids with different boiling points in a solution (Water/Alcohol mixture)
5) Other methods
Chromatography, cetrifuging, etc. Look them up.

Eke

Apr 2013
thanks

but i already know that because i keep going thru my chem text book.. but there might-be an exam coming up about the separation techniques and i was thinking maybe there was a method that was very very rememberABLE so i could keep it in mind during the exam and for life

Feb 2013
Michigan
Eke, we are here to help you with the basics in Chemistry, not to second guess your teachers. Looking for something remarkable cannot be delegated to someone else. You can use the Internet to research anything under the sun including some unique separation techniques. I gave you most of them and I can give you more. You will probably not be asked about them. If you really want them you should be able to find them on your own. Here is one Internet source. Try to find more:
http://library.thinkquest.org/11430/research/techniques.htm

Unknown008

CHF Hall of Fame
May 2010
Mauritius
You can make flash cards with some questions like... "How do you separate a solid from a mixture of a solid and a liquid?" which has the answer "Filtration" at the back.

So what you do is take a random card like this as many times as you want and try to guess the answer. Check the answer after your guess to see if you were right! This should be practiced many times in order for this to be effective.

That's just one method of learning, feel free to make your own, whatever you find most effective. :)