Usage/Applications of NaBr, HBr, NH4Br, CaBr2 in Industry

Jul 2013
Hello,

I have a question about applications of NaBr, HBr, NH4Br, CaBr2 material in Industry, for example - CaBr2 is widely used in the oil drilling, HBr is used in the semiconductor industry for the etching and so on. I would like to know any other ideas for these materials. I appreciate your help. Thank you!

Jul 2013
NaBr
Sodium bromide is widely used for the preparation of other bromides in organic synthesis and other areas. It is a source of the bromide nucleophile to convert alkyl chlorides to more reactive alkyl bromides by the Finkelstein reaction:

NaBr + RCl → RBr + NaCl (R = alkyl)

Once a large need in photography, but now shrinking, the photosensitive salt silver bromide is prepared using NaBr.
NaBr is used in conjunction with chlorine as a disinfectant for swimming pools.
Sodium bromide is used in petroleum industry to prepare dense fluids used in oil wells.

HBr
Hydrogen bromide is a simple compound formed from one atom of hydrogen and one atom of bromine. When dissolved in water, it becomes hydrobromic acid. This strong acid enjoys a wide range of uses in the synthesis of industrial chemicals and consumer items; it's also popular in organic chemistry labs, where it's used to help make compounds with desirable properties.
It would be difficult to name all the chemical syntheses that involve hydrogen bromide; some of the more common are those that lead to bromoalkanes, like the chemicals used in fire retardants and some refrigerants. Other industries that make frequent use of this chemical are dying, textile finishing and especially the pharmaceutical industry. It can also be used to help dissolve minerals during the processing of ores to extract metals.

NH4Br
Ammonium bromide is used for photography in films, plates and papers; in fireproofing of wood; in lithography and process engraving; in corrosion inhibitors; and in pharmaceutical preparations.

CaBr2
It is mainly used as dense aqueous solutions for drilling fluids.[1] It is also used in neuroses medication, freezing mixtures, food preservatives, photography and fire retardants.

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar Chemistry Discussions Chemistry Forum Date
Physical Chemistry