Why use acetic acid instead of HCl if diluted to same pH?

Dec 2019
Sweden
Hi,
I was wondering about using HCl instead of acetic acid since the acetic acid smells and is not practical in the amount that I need for stain removal.
I have a cat that has pissed in the bed and I use the bathtub as vessel for holding the stain removal liquid. I can use 5ml of 30% Hcl vs a lot of 12% acetic acid to achieve the same pH.
So what is the cons of using HCl instead of acetic acid if the same pH is reached?
after I use HCl i will get a pH of approximately 3.5. The pH of Coca cola is 2.4 ,taken from here.
Will I be able to get more acidic corrosion on my skin if I touch it just because it is HCl and not acetic acid?

Last edited:
Sep 2018
England
The reactivity of an acid (in any given reaction) is not just related to its PH
The reactivity of the constituent elements of the acid with the constituent elements of the substance it is reacting with must also be considered.
So you want something that reacts with cat piss, but not with the fabric that has been stained.
HCl will react with almost anything (cat piss, fabric, skin, plastic bath tubs, ...) because chlorine is so reactive.

I would suggest that good old soap (laundary detergent) and water would be best for your problem.
Get your shoes and socks off, and tread up and down the fabric in the bath
to ensure the soap gets right into the affected area.
Leave to soak, then repeat the treading (perhaps several times) with clean water.
Ensure you wash the soap thoroughly off your feet to avoid irritation,
if you have sensitive skin, manipulate the soapy fabric with gloved hands (washing up gloves).
(hand washing is harder work than treading).

Last edited:
Reactions: topsquark