Year 11 acids and bases help!

Jul 2013
This is not a homework question but I was just wondering if the way I answer questions to do with the neutralisation of acids and bases was right (specifically terminology) :
Acids have H+ ions while bases have OH- ions. A neutralisation reaction occurs when the H+ ion and OH- ions cancel each other's charges and react to form H20 a neutral molecule. Thus the acidic and basic properties are cancelled off to form neutral products.

May 2010
This is not a homework question but I was just wondering if the way I answer questions to do with the neutralisation of acids and bases was right (specifically terminology) :
Acids have H+ ions while bases have OH- ions. A neutralisation reaction occurs when the H+ ion and OH- ions cancel each other's charges and react to form H20 a neutral molecule. Thus the acidic and basic properties are cancelled off to form neutral products.
not exactly. What's the story when dealing with weak acids and bases

Jul 2013
Weak acids and bases are diluted with water so already have water molecules?

Unknown008

CHF Hall of Fame
May 2010
Mauritius
You might also try to think about the reaction of gaseous HCl and NH3. That's an acid base reaction without any H ions or OH ions reacting.

May 2010
You might also try to think about the reaction of gaseous HCl and NH3. That's an acid base reaction without any H ions or OH ions reacting.
If both gases are dry no reaction occurs

Unknown008

CHF Hall of Fame
May 2010
Mauritius
Really now? Any source to support that?

I was looking around a few minutes ago and stumbled on that article which mentions that all it takes to make the reaction really happen is an electron and since they're talking about molecular level reactions, water would have been mention if it was there as a requirement of the reaction, which isn't mentioned.

May 2010
Really now? Any source to support that?

I was looking around a few minutes ago and stumbled on that article which mentions that all it takes to make the reaction really happen is an electron and since they're talking about molecular level reactions, water would have been mention if it was there as a requirement of the reaction, which isn't mentioned.
See Wiki re this reaction.Since it requires ions some moisture must be present to form them.

Unknown008

CHF Hall of Fame
May 2010
Mauritius
I wonder if the reference is still valid. It refers to a book from 1894 and Wiki is not always reliable. I'm still curious as to how exactly the author of that book carried out the reaction.

Also, the article I linked earlier mentioned that the electrons about in the environment are what initiates the reaction, which makes some kinds of 'temporary ions' (term by me).

May 2010
I wonder if the reference is still valid. It refers to a book from 1894 and Wiki is not always reliable. I'm still curious as to how exactly the author of that book carried out the reaction.

Also, the article I linked earlier mentioned that the electrons about in the environment are what initiates the reaction, which makes some kinds of 'temporary ions' (term by me).
I have no other info than Wiki.If Iwanted to prove that no reaction occurs I would pass equal mmoles of each dry gas thru a glass tube which had been purged with dry air or dry N2.If the tube stayed clear I would say no reaction.Fogged I would say reaction

Jul 2013
im still not sure as to how to answer...